Today, we will be making … DINOSAUR FOSSILS! Perfect for an afternoon craft, you can then learn all about these pre-historic creatures through our Make Your Own Dinosaur Kit.
Thank you to Your Everyday Family for this fun DIY!
What You Need
-2 cups flour
-1 cup water
-1 cup salt
-Red, blue and yellow food coloring
-Small water glass
1. Make the salt dough: Mix the salt and flour into a bowl until blended. Add 3 drops of each of the food coloring to the water and mix it until it becomes brown. Add the water to the salt/flour mix a little at a time until it becomes more dough-like. Don’t add the water all at once, in case you don’t need all of it.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes – the longer you knead, the smoother (and easier) it will be!
3. Once the dough is ready, use the rolling pin and roll the dough out until it is 1/2 inch thick.
4. Use a glass or round cookie cutter to cut out circles, making sure they are big enough for your dinosaurs.
5. Once you have enough circles, place the dinosaurs on their sides and gently press them into the salt dough. Remember, gently is key – you don’t want them to make a hole through the dough.
6. Allow the fossils to air dry for 2-3 days or bake them at 300-degrees for about an hour, or 200-degrees for 2-3 hours. The higher the heat, the browner the fossils will be.
Enjoy your fossiled creation!